Simple to make ahead of time, with a creamy decadent texture and taste—what more could you ask for in a holiday side dish? These cream cheese and chive mashed potatoes have it all. And what’s more, I love the way these potatoes complement just about any main dish and other side dishes that you may be serving.
Chive Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Yield 6 Servings
Cream cheese give these potatoes just the right amount of delicious creaminess without making them runny. You can boil the potatoes ahead of time, set them aside and then complete a couple of finishing steps to serve them to your guests.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 8 oz plain cream cheese
- 10 chives, chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large stock pot, Boil potatoes until potato gives easily when poked with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot to dry out.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes, slowly adding milk, until potatoes are desired consistency. Add the cream cheese and combine until the cheese melts into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in the chives, reserving some to sprinkle on the top. Transfer to a large serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining chives to serve.
Make Ahead Tip:
- After boiling and draining the potatoes, return them to their pot to dry out. At this point you can let them stand, covered, for a few hours before finishing them. Reheat them by immersing in boiling water until they’re heated through, about 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe as directed above.
This recipe is easily doubled.
Courses Side Dish